Home Internet Survey
Do you use the internet? Do you lack access to the internet? What internet issues or computer issues do you have? The City of Hayward needs your input for our programs!
The City of Hayward is conducting a survey to learn about residents’ use of technology and the internet. The results of this research will help ensure internet access, computing services, and resources necessary for all Hayward residents to thrive.
Today we only have anecdotal evidence of a digital divide in Hayward. There’s no data collected by the City that identifies the areas where the digital divide* exists.
* According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the term "digital divide" refers to the gap between individuals, households, businesses and geographic areas at different socio-economic levels with regard to both their opportunities to access information and communication technologies (ICTs) and to their use of the Internet for a wide variety of activities.
Goals of the Survey:
Design a Survey to collect data from Hayward residents and answer the questions:
- What is the percentage of residents with no access to Internet?
- What are the reasons residents are not connected: No internet access available, High cost of Internet (income), No Device to access Internet, Lack of skills
- Is the digital divide based on demographics?
Outcome of the Survey:
- Define what the Digital Divide means to Hayward:
- View the Digital divide based on demographics (age, gender, income, education, ethnicity, or type of residence)
- Indicators of the Digital Divide: Internet usage, access to a device (PC, tablet, smartphone), skills, cost, and infrastructure
- Work with community partners and impacted community members to identify and implement strategies for addressing barriers to accessing the internet.
- Ensure all Hayward community members have reliable access to high quality Internet services and the necessary digital literacy to use it in the most beneficial ways, regardless of their ethnicity, income, or age.
- Online: visit hayward-ca.gov/internet-survey to take the survey online.
- Phone: Take the survey over the phone by calling: (510) 583-2131 (English) or (510) 583-2132 (Spanish).
- Paper: Call (510) 583-2131 or (510) 583-2132 to request a paper survey. Or visit City Hall or a Hayward library for a copy. You can also download and print copies of the survey in English and Spanish below. Other languages are available upon request. Completed surveys can be returned to City Hall or one of the Hayward libraries.