The Building Division serves Hayward's residents and business community by ensuring that all buildings in the City are safe. We do this by reviewing preliminary drawings for code compliance and verifying quality of work during construction.
- Maintain the highest level of public safety and customer service in the administration of building construction code enforcement
- Provide City of Hayward residents with a safe environment to live, work, learn
- Enforce building codes to protect people from the hazards of unsafe construction.
How May We Serve You?
Building permits are required for almost all construction related work. This includes plumbing, mechanical, electrical, structural work and even demolition.
Adopted Codes Enforced in Hayward
All of the California codes are now published for free online at: www.bsc.ca.gov/codes.aspx For instructions on how to use the California Energy Code, you can find information here: http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2016standards/
The following codes are mandatory throughout California and are adopted and enforced in Hayward:
- 2016 California Building Code (Volumes 1 and 2)
- 2016 California Residential Code
- 2016 California Electrical Code
- 2016 California Plumbing Code
- 2016 California Mechanical Code
- 2016 California Energy Code
- 2016 California Green Building Standards Code “CalGreen” (no CalGreen tiers are adopted locally)
Local Codes and Ordinances:
Hayward no longer has a Green Building Ordinance. This is now covered by the new Energy Code and CalGreen, which are mandatory statewide. Hayward has some minor amendments to the Mechanical Code and the Electrical Code that are unique to our jurisdiction.
Plastic Pipe is Now Allowed in Hayward (ABS, PVC, PEX and similar materials are approved for use). If you need more detailed information (recommended only for professional non-residential contractors, architects and engineers) you can view the specifics of the local Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical ordinances in the City of Hayward Municipal Code.
For general permitting information including handouts and forms please click on Permit Center:
How can we help? Here are some of the services offered that are unique to the Building Division.