Hayward e-Permits are here!
Hayward's new online permitting system offers an easy, convenient way to submit permit applications for development projects, add contractors to your project, pay fees, download permits, schedule inspections, check your inspector's estimated time of arrival (ETA), see inspection results, and so much more without ever leaving your home or office. Learn more about our new system below.
To reach other permit center divisions, please call the numbers below, or e-mail your staff contact directly:
For the Building Division, 510-583-4140
For the Fire Prevention Department, 510-583-4900
For the Planning Division, 510-583-4216 or email: email@example.com
For the Code Enforcement Division, 510-583-4143 or contact your code inspector directly or the telephone number shown on the letter you received.
The Building Division serves Hayward's residents and business community by ensuring that all buildings in the City are safe. We do this by reviewing preliminary drawings for code compliance and verifying quality of work during construction.
- Maintain the highest level of public safety and customer service in the administration of building construction code enforcement
- Provide City of Hayward residents with a safe environment to live, work, learn
- Enforce building codes to protect people from the hazards of unsafe construction.
Building Handouts (Can also be found below under Documents & Reports)
Adopted Codes Enforced in Hayward:
All of the California codes are now published for free online at: www.bsc.ca.gov/codes.aspx For instructions on how to use the California Energy Code, you can find information here: http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2019standards/
The following codes are mandatory throughout California and are adopted and enforced in Hayward:
- 2019 California Building Code (Volumes 1 and 2)
- 2019 California Residential Code
- 2019 California Electrical Code
- 2019 California Plumbing Code
- 2019 California Mechanical Code
- 2019 California Energy Code
- 2019 California Green Building Standards Code “CalGreen” (no CalGreen tiers are adopted locally)
Local Codes and Ordinances:
Hayward no longer has a Green Building Ordinance. This is now covered by the new Energy Code and CalGreen, which are mandatory statewide. Hayward has some minor amendments to the Mechanical Code and the Electrical Code that are unique to our jurisdiction.
Plastic Pipe is Now Allowed in Hayward (ABS, PVC, PEX and similar materials are approved for use). If you need more detailed information (recommended only for professional non-residential contractors, architects and engineers) you can view the specifics of the local Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical ordinances in the City of Hayward Municipal Code.
How can we help? Here are some of the services offered that are unique to the Building Division.