Economic Development Division
If you're starting a new business or expanding one, finding a "business friendly" location isn't enough. For long-term success, you don't need a friend; you need a partner.
Our mission is to:
- Ensure efficient and predictable business permitting processes;
- Create and sustain a safe, clean, green, and fiscally sound business environment that benefits residents, businesses, and the region;
- Promote Hayward for its central location, prime business sites, great climate, and excellent transportation, water, and public safety services; as well as for other strengths that distinguish Hayward from other municipalities, such as its international community, civic participation, and history;
- Actively recruit and retain businesses, especially supporting emerging sectors that create quality, good-paying jobs like biotech industries and food processing businesses;
- Foster an educated and job-ready local workforce by driving the improvement of the academic performance of Hayward students and by connecting businesses, learning institutions, and community agencies.
Subscribe to Economic Development's email list to be the first to hear about business news, programs, and opportunities in Hayward.
City of Hayward COVID Economic Recovery Programs:
Current round of applications opens on April 4, 2022 and closes May 5, 2022:
- Restaurant Relaunch Recovery Program: Reimbursement grants between $10,000 - $15,000 to aid businesses with physical improvements such as establishing permanent outdoor dining areas, improving interior dining spaces, update paint, awnings and signage and other necessary improvements. Participating restaurants must have been in business at least five years, have a valid City of Hayward Business License and have no active Code Enforcement or Building Code violations open with the City. Details ⇒
- Restore and Reopen Façade Improvement Program: Reimbursement grants between $5,000 - $10,000 to aid businesses on improving the exterior appearance of the business including paint, awnings, and signage. Businesses and property owners looking to apply for the Façade Improvement Program must have a valid City of Hayward Business License and have no active Code Enforcement or Building Code violations open with the City. Details ⇒