Mission Blvd. Corridor Improvements Project (Phase 2) - Construction Updates
The Hayward City Council has awarded the Mission Boulevard Corridor Improvements Phase 2 Project to DeSilva Gates Construction. Construction will start at the end of March and is anticipated to be completed in the Fall of 2019 pending any weather delays. This improvement project on Mission Boulevard is from Industrial Parkway to the south City limit near Blanche Street and generally consists of:
- Removal of existing trees that are diseased or in conflict with the improvements,
- Undergrounding of overhead utility wires,
- Construction of new sidewalks and curb ramps,
- Installation of new metal fencing on the west side of Mission Boulevard adjacent to existing wood fencing,
- Installation of LED streetlights,
- Installation of gateway monuments at Blanche Street, Fairway Street and Corrine Street,
- Construction of bike lanes with buffer planter islands,
- Construction of median island with landscaping,
- Planting of new trees,
- Modification of existing traffic signals and installation of a new traffic signal at the intersection of Rousseau Street and Blanche Street,
- Rehabilitation of the pavement.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation during the construction period. Every effort will be made to minimize inconveniences from the construction work. Upon completion, this project will greatly enhance this section of Mission Boulevard.
Construction Update (July through August, 2018)
- Tree removal has been completed.
- Joint trench for the undergrounding of PG&E and Comcast overhead utilities from the Golf Course to Gresel Street has been completed. This work included saw-cutting of the pavement, excavating of underlying pavement material, and placing of conduits. Metal plates are placed over the trenched section at the end of the work day and are removed when backfilling and paving of trenched section are complete. After all conduits and vaults are installed, PG&E and Comcast will install the wires.
- Some of the vaults as part of the undergrounding of overhead utilites have been installed.
- Temporary channelizers installed from City limit to Fairway Street.
- Excavation for the new curb and gutter from the City limit to Fairway Street has been completed.
- Construction of new curb and gutter from City limit to Fairway Street has begun.
CONSTRUCTION LOOK AHEAD
- Joint trench for the undergrounding of overhead utilities continues from Gresel Street to Blanche Street.
- Vault installation as part of the undergrounding of overhead utilities continues.
- Construction of new curb and gutter continues from City Limit to Fairway Street.
- Excavation for new curb, gutter and sidewalk from Fairway to Industrial Parkway.
- Installation of irrigation sleeves.
- Install streetlight and signal interconnect.
- Work requiring lane closures is from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.