Mission Boulevard Corridor Improvement Project
The City of Hayward is making major improvements to Mission Boulevard as part of the three-phase Mission Boulevard Corridor Improvement Project.
Phase 1 of the Project, which included improvements on Mission Boulevard from A Street to Industrial Parkway, as well as on Foothill Boulevard from Mission Boulevard to Apple Avenue, and on A Street from Mission Boulevard to Foothill Boulevard, was completed in January 2014. Construction of Phase 2, which included improvements on Mission Boulevard from Industrial Parkway to the southern City limit at Blanche Street, was completed in September 2020. Phase 3 of the project, from A Street to the northern City limit at Rose Street, is the last phase of the three-phase project to be constructed.
Phase 3 improvements will include the following:
- Undergrounding of existing overhead utility lines
Reconstruction of existing sidewalks, and curbs and gutters
Adjustment of existing driveways to conform to the new sidewalks
Installation of new bike lanes -- specifically, cycle track between the parking lane and the sidewalk
Planting of new street trees in between the curb and the cycle track
- Modification and installation of new storm drain inlets to improve drainage
- Rehabilitation of existing pavement using Cold In-place Recycling (CIR) and a new pavement overlay
- Upgrade of intersections to comply with the latest Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility standards
- Upgrade of existing traffic signal at Sunset Boulevard and improvement of signal timing by adapting to traffic conditions in real time
- Installation of new signage and relocation of bus stops
- Installation of conduits for future fiber optic lines
- Installation of new LED and dimmable street lighting
- Installation of bulb outs and flashing beacons at crosswalks
- Installation of new gateway entry features at Rose Street
Construction is anticipated to start in the Summer of 2021 and complete in the Summer of 2022.