Water Waste Regulations
The City is committed to making water conservation a way of life. This includes maximizing water use efficiency and prohibiting water waste.
The following water uses are prohibited in the City of Hayward:
- Excessive use of water due to defective or broken plumbing or irrigation system
- Any use of water that results in flooding or runoff into gutters or streets
- Any use of water for irrigation in a manner that causes excessive water flow, overspray or runoff onto non-irrigated areas
- Irrigation during and within 48 hours after measurable rainfall
- Application of water to driveways and sidewalks
- Using a hose for any purpose, including vehicle washing, unless the hose is equipped with a shut-off nozzle
- Using a decorative fountain or other ornamental water features unless the water is recirculated
- Serving water in restaurants and bars unless specifically requested by the customer.
- Washing towels and linens on a daily basis in hotels and motels unless specifically requested by the customer.
The following additional actions are strongly encouraged:
- Irrigate your yard in the early morning and evening hours to reduce evaporation
- Install water saving fixtures and appliances - learn about free devices and rebates from the City
- Don't run your dishwasher or clothes washing machine until you have a full load
Water conservation rebates and programs for residents
Water conservation rebates and programs for businesses
Report Water Waste
If you see water waste, please let us know.