Final phase of Mission Boulevard corridor improvements set to begin this summer
Summer is high season for roadway repaving and upgrades—and the start of the final segment of Mission Boulevard improvements will be a highlight in Hayward in the months ahead.
The upcoming Mission Boulevard Corridor Phase 3 Improvement Project will span Mission from A street to the north city limit at Rose Street and finish enhancements stretching the entire length of the boulevard in Hayward.
Phase 3 improvements include the following:
- Undergrounding of existing overhead utility lines;
- Reconstruction of existing sidewalks, curbs and gutters;
- Adjustment of existing driveways to conform to the new sidewalks;
- Installation of new bike lanes, specifically a cycle track between the parking lane and the sidewalk;
- Planting of new street trees in between the curb and the cycle track;
- Modification and new storm drain inlets to improve drainage;
- Rehabilitation of existing pavement using Cold In-place Recycling (CIR) and a new pavement overlay;
- Upgrade of intersections to comply with the latest Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility standards;
- Upgrade of the existing traffic signal at Sunset Boulevard and improve signal timing by adapting to traffic conditions in real time;
- Installation of new signage and relocation of bus stops;
- Installation of conduits for future fiber optic lines;
- Installation of new LED and dimmable street lighting;
- Installation of bulb outs and flashing beacons at crosswalks; and
- Installation of new gateway entry features at Rose Street.
Construction is anticipated to start this summer and completed in the summer of 2022. For more information and project updates later this year, go to the project page on the City of Hayward website.