Water Conservation Programs
- Reducing water and energy bills
- Lowering yard maintenance
- Preventing urban runoff that would otherwise pollute our creeks and San Francisco Bay
- Lawn Conversion Rebate Program
- Rain Barrels Rebate Program
- Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller Rebate Program
- Free Water Conservation Fixtures
- Residential Self-Audit Tool
The City of Hayward Lawn Conversion Program provides rebates to approved customers who convert water-thirsty lawns into water-efficient landscapes. The Lawn Conversion Program will run until June 30, 2023, or until funds last. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Download the Program Brochure and Application to learn how to apply.
Front Yards and Areas Visible to the Public: $0.75 per square foot of lawn converted
Backyards and Areas Not Visible to the Public: $0.50 per square foot of lawn converted
Additional Sheet Mulching Rebate: $0.25 extra per square foot of lawn converted using sheet mulching
In partnership with Rachio, Hayward water customers can receive a Rachio 3 Smart Irrigation Controller at a discounted price of $100 + tax (MSRP: $279.99).
The Rachio 3 Smart Irrigation Controller:
- Can save up to 50% of your total outdoor water use.
- Is compatible with almost any irrigation system—just swap out your old controller and continue using your existing pipes and sprinkler heads.
- Calculates when and how long to run your sprinklers.
- Automatically adjusts to local weather conditions.
- Allows you to control your sprinklers from anywhere with your mobile device.
- Easily connects to Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, Nest, and more.
Supply and funding is limited. Check your elibility and apply here.
Hayward water customers are eligible to receive free WaterSense-labeled low-flow faucet aerators and showerheads. WaterSense-labeled faucet aerators and showerheads can save an average household 500 to 2,300 gallons of water per year. Households will typically see additional energy savings due to reduced demand on water heaters.
Pick up these free devices at the Public Works Department at Hayward City Hall, 777 B Street, Hayward CA. Please contact us at (510) 583-4700 or email@example.com to confirm availability or to make an appointment. There is a limit of 10 of each device for multi-family properties.
Residential Self-Audit Tool
To conserve water inside your home, the first step is understanding how much water you use and where to look for potential leaks. In partnership with Bay Area Water Supply and Conservation Agency (BAWSCA), the City of Hayward is offering free Residential Self-Audit Tool Kit to all Hayward water customers. The kits include a step-by-step guide to complete an indoor survey, check for sink/shower flow rates, meter leaks, and toilet leaks, as well as general indoor leak information.
To request a free Residential Self-Audit Tool Kit, create an online profile on the BAWSCA portal and complete an online request form.