Zoning Conformance Permit
WHEN IS AN ZONING CONFORMANCE PERMIT REQUIRED?
Approval of a Zoning Conformance Permit is required before establishment of the following uses in the city:
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Unattended collection boxes
- Keeping hens, ducks, pigeons, or other small fowl in some residential areas.
WHAT IS ITS PURPOSE?
The purpose of a zoning conformance permit is to ensure that certain uses, as specified in the various zoning districts, are operated in accordance with city policies and regulations.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
Tier One projects include Apiaries (Bees) and Unattended Collection Boxes with a fee of $210 per application.
Tier Two projects include Household Pets including hens, pigeons, ducks and other small fowl with a fee of $53 per application.
Tier Three projects include Accessory Dwelling Units with a fee of $328 per unit.
WHO APPROVES A ZONING CONFORMANCE PERMIT?
A Zoning Conformance Permit is approved by the Planning Director or their designee, typically a staff planner.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS?
- Make an appointment with a Planner to determine which regulations apply to your proposed use. In certain cases you may also be directed to contact other City departments. At your request, or if a Planner determines it would be helpful, a pre-application meeting will be set up with staff members in attendance from the appropriate City departments.
- Submit a completed application form, filing fee and required materials for review to the Planning Division.
- A Planner will review your application to insure that it contains sufficient information to process. Copies of your proposal will also be referred to other affected departments and other agencies for comment. Upon receipt of their responses, the project planner may contact you to obtain additional information.
- When all additional information requested has been received and your application is deemed complete, the Planning Director may approve, deny, or refer the application to the Planning Commission. If the Planning Director approves the applications all conditions of approval will be discussed with you beforehand.
HOW LONG DOES APPROVAL TAKE?
Administrative approval can usually be accomplished the same day. Projects requiring noticing or additional review may take additional time.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE REVIEW PROCESS?
Plans will be reviewed for conformance to the standards of the Municipal Code for the specific use proposed, as well as the general standards and policies prescribed by the Zoning Ordinance, the General Plan, Design Guidelines, and other City documents.
MAY A DECISION BE APPEALED?
Approval of a zoning conformance permit is final. However, non-compliance with the terms of the permit or City standards is grounds for revocation of the permit.