Housing Response to the COVID-19 Emergency

Check out the Housing Division's programs in response to the COVID pandemic:
A grey housing with a green heart doorknob next to the text: COVID-19 Housing Programs
  • COVID-19 Rent Relief: The City's Rental Housing Relief Program is no longer accepting applications. You can sign up for more information from Alameda County about there Emergency Rental Assistance Program. Learn more here
  • Temporary Moratorium on Evictions: The City of Hayward Temporary Moratorium on Evictions has expired as of September 30, 2020. A new state law enacted on Aug. 31, called the Tenant, Homeowner and Small Landlord Relief and Stabilization Act, put in place a new statewide moratorium on residential evictions, also until Jan. 31, 2021. On September 2, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom alaunched the Housing is Key website to inform Californians about the State's New Tenant and Landlord Protections. The Housing is Key website will connect tenants and landlords with important information about relief and protections under the new state law. For more information and details, please visit the Hosing is Key website hereClick here for additional information about the Temporary Moratoria on Evictions.
  • Free default counseling and workshops: The City is partnering with A-1 Community Housing Services (a HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agency) to offer free mortgage default counseling and workshops. Learn more about free counseling services and free foreclosure prevention workshops.
  • Landlord and Tenant Petitions: The Rent Review Office is working to set up safe, remote options for mediation and arbitration, and will work with tenants and landlords to ensure access to remote meetings. Petition forms are availabe on this website and will also be available on the first floor of Hayward City Hall at the Rent Stabilization Resource Kiosk. If you are filing a petition, an extension of 10 days will be given in order to account for longer mail delivery times. A petition can be filed by mail, sent by e-mail to housing@hayward-ca.gov, or dropped off in the drop-box located at the Resource Kiosk.
  • Rent Increase or Termination Notices: If you're filing a Rent Increase or Termination Notice, these notices can be filed by mail, sent by e-mail to rentalnotifications@hayward-ca.gov, or dropped off in the the drop-box located at the Resource Kiosk.
  • Rent Stabilization Fee: The Rent Stabilization Fee can be paid by mail or online at https://haywardselfservice.us/hss/. Please click here for more information about the Fiscal Year 2023 Rent Stabilization Fee.
  • Resources and Tools: The City has consolidated several local and state resources to support the Hayward Community. Please click here for a detailed list of resources, including food, education, and other basic needs.
For more information please contact the Housing Division at housing@hayward-ca.gov or 510.583.4454; Para servicio en Español, favor de llamar al 510.583.5547