Hayward Public Library now open with HPL Express walk-in service and safety protocols
Hayward Public Library reopened on May 3 with a new limited walk-in service called HPL Express that allows members of the public to enter the downtown branch during two-hour, limited capacity sessions provided they observe all COVID-19 safety protocols.
HPL Express services include self-service check-out of materials and hold pick-ups; new library cards and payment of charges; computer use for a maximum of one hour per day; browsing the collection; reference assistance; self-service copying, scanning and printing; and Wi-Fi access. HPL Express hours at the downtown HPL branch are:
- Monday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
A total of up to 125 patrons will be allowed in the building during each two-hour HPL Express session. For the safety of the public and library staff, the following additional steps are being taken:
- Seating for reading and studying will be limited
- Study rooms will remain closed
- Meeting rooms will not be available to rent
- Story-times and homework help to remain virtual
- Toys, puzzles and games in the Children’s Library will not be available
Library visitors also must follow all current COVID-19 safety rules issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department for Retail Stores and Shopping Center, as well as all posted signage and verbal instructions from staff, including:
- Entering and exiting the building through the garage side entrance
- Wearing appropriately fitting protective face covering/mask required for all visitors two years of age and older
- Observing of social-distancing guidelines within the library or while waiting to enter
- Sanitizing hands upon entering the building
- Staying home if you are feeling unwell or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms
- No eating or drinking within the library
For more information, including all contactless, online and virtual services to continue through and outside of the downtown and Weekes branches of HPL, go online here to the HPL website.