Tree Removal/Pruning Permit
Updated: Dec. 5, 2022
A Tree Removal/Pruning Permit is required to remove or prune protected trees as defined in HMC 10-15.13 and HMC 10-15.20. Tree Removal/Pruning Permits require Landscape Architect Approval and may be appealed to the Planning Director. Check out Basic Tree Questions in Handouts or the Tree Preservation Ordinance for more information.
Submitting an Application:
- Contact the City's Landscape Architect: Contact the Landscape Architect by emailing email@example.com or calling (510) 583-4208 to determine the requirements and submittal materials. Please include the project address(es) and a detailed description of your project.
- Register for an e-Permit Portal account: You must be a registered user of the Hayward e-Permit Portal before you can submit your application. Learn more about how to register on our e-Permit Portal help page.
- Apply for your Plan Type: Using the e-Permit Portal, apply for your Plan by completing the online application and attaching the required submittal materials. Learn more about how to apply for a Plan on our e-Permit Portal help page.
Required Submittal Materials:
The submittal items below are required for this project type. Please note additional submittal items may be required depending on the project scope.
- Existing Tree Name, Size and Location Map: A map that shows the location of all existing trees and indicates the tree(s) to be removed. Only required for Tree Removal Permit.
- Replacement Tree Name, Size and Location Map: A map that shows the location of the replacement tree and identifies the tree name and size. Only Required for Tree Removal Permit.
- Arborist Certification: Only required if project includes the pruning of a Heritage Tree(s)
- HOA Approval Letter: Only required if the site is government by a Homeowner’s Association
- Owner Authorization Form: Only required if the applicant is not the property owner. (See Owner Authorization Form in Handouts)
Applicants will be notified by email or can login to the e-Permit Portal for updates on their application. Tree Removal/Pruning Permits typically take one week to process. Estimated processing times do not include the time needed by the applicant to revise and resubmit their application.
After submitting your application through the e-Permits Portal, staff will reach out to coordinate payment. The application fee for a Tree Removal/Pruning Permit is $490.