Food Vendor Permit (FVP)
WHEN IS A FOOD VENDOR PERMIT REQUIRED?
A Food Vendor Permit is required for any mobile unit, towed by a vendor's personal vehicle, designed and used for the vending of food or food products from a fixed location.
WHAT MATERIALS DO I SUBMIT?
- Application form, including the signature of the owner of the property where the mobile unit is proposed;
- Application Fee
- Site Plan showing the location of the mobile unit, location for the vendor's personal vehicle, customer parking spaces, and location for overnight storage of the mobile unit, including distances to landscaping, parking stalls, buildings, driveways, fences, utility poles, hydrants, within 50 feet of the proposed mobile unit;
- Plan for the collection, storing and disposal of litter and recyclables; and
- Description of the business and goods to be sold.
WHAT STANDARDS MUST BE MET TO APPROVE A FOOD VENDOR PERMIT?
A Food Vendor Permit may be approved, or conditionally approved, when ALL of the following standards are met:
- Must be located on a property located in an industrially zoned district;
- Cannot be located within 300 yards of a school or another mobile food vendor;
- The mobile units may be sized as necessary for the proper handling of food products as determined by the Alameda County Health Department;
- The unit must be set back from the street right of way and not block pedestrian or vehicular movement, nor reduce the number of parking spaces required for the primary business; and
- The food vendor must be in compliance with all regulations of the Alameda County Department of Environmental Health.
HOW LONG DOES THE APPROVAL LAST?
The initial approval lasts for one year and is not transferable to another vendor nor a different location. Within 30 days of the expiration of the food vendor permit, the applicant must submit for a food vendor permit renewal if the intent is to continue operation.
CAN MY FOOD VENDOR PERMIT BE REVOKED?
A Food Vendor Permit may be revoked if it is determined by the Planning Director that the conditions of the permit or the regulations for food vendors have been violated.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
The cost for an initial Food Vendor Permit application is $700. The cost to renew existing Food Vendor Permits is $350. The cost covers staff review of the application and preparation of findings and conditions of approval.