Hayward seeks mental health therapist or clinical social worker to enhance public safety responses
The Stack e-Newsletter: October 2023
The City of Hayward is seeking a mental health clinician to join a dynamic new team being established to improve public safety responses to people experiencing mental illness in the City of Hayward.
The Hayward Evaluation and Response Teams (HEART) Program is an interdepartmental pilot project of the Hayward Police and Fire departments and Office of the City Manager. The teams work together to improve access to medical, mental-health and other support services, and reduce the need for police officers to intervene in situations involving people experiencing chronic mental illness, substance-use disorders and/or homelessness.
The ideal candidate possesses experience providing short-term crisis intervention, safety assessments, and other mental health services to adults, youth and children experiencing mental illness, substance use disorders and/or homelessness; the ability to work alongside emergency response teams in the field; knowledge about local community resources; and skill at forming relationships quickly.
Duties may include but will not be limited to:
- Providing crisis intervention and counseling services, case management, emergency psychological evaluations and recommendations, and proactive field work to serve the unhoused population, persons with mental illness and others in crisis.
- Providing support, consultation, and training to first responders (police and fire) concerning social services, community resources, and other issues related to behavioral health care.
- Serving as a liaison with law enforcement, school officials, social service agencies, other City departments, and the general public regarding difficult and/or complex situations related to mental health and social services; and
- Responding to critical incidents and other in-field emergency situations.
For more information including educational requirements for the position, go online here to the City of Hayward employment opportunities website.
- Read the rest of the October 2023 Stack e-Newsletter
- Signup for the Stack e-Newsletter