Construction activity allowable in Hayward during COVID-19 health emergency
HAYWARD, Calif., April 3, 2020—The City of Hayward announced today that building inspection and permitting services will be limited to those construction activities allowed to take place under the new Shelter-In-Place order issued by the Alameda County Health Officer.
Additionally, the City strongly urges compliance with the order by all residents and businesses as an absolute necessity to protect the health and wellbeing of the Hayward community.
Construction activity that may proceed under the new order is limited to:
- Projects necessary to the maintenance, operation, or repair of Essential Infrastructure;
- Projects associated with Healthcare Operations, including new and expanded facilities directly related to the COVID-19 response;
- Construction of affordable housing that is or will be income-restricted, including multi-unit or mixed-use developments containing at least 10 percent income-restricted homes;
- Public works projects specifically designated as an Essential Government Function by the lead government agency;
- Shelters and temporary housing, not including hotels and motels, and projects immediately necessary to provide critical non-commercial services to individuals experiencing homelessness, elderly persons, persons who are economically disadvantaged, and persons with special needs;
- Securing of active construction sites for safety purposes, only to the extent necessary; and
- Construction or repairs necessary to ensure that residences and buildings containing Essential Businesses are safe, sanitary, or habitable to the extent such construction or repair cannot reasonably be delayed.
Pursuant to the Shelter-In-Place order, construction work that does not meet the requirements above shall cease until the order is lifted.
For more information, contact City Building Official Gary Nordahl at Gary.Nordahl@hayward-ca.gov, or (510) 583-4153, or Supervising Building Inspector Omar Noorzad at Omar.Noorzad@hayward-ca.gov, or (510) 583-4313.
To report construction or other business activity in the City of Hayward that is suspected to be occurring in violation of the Shelter-In-Place order, please contact the Code Enforcement Division of the Hayward Department of Development Services at (510) 583-4143.
Download the full news release.