Frequently Asked Questions - Applying for a U.S. Passport
Here are some frequently asked questions about applying for your U.S. Passport. For more information, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
- No. You must mail in your renewal application yourself. We recommend using a trackable delivery method when mailing in your passport application.
- If you choose Routine Service: 6-8 Weeks
- If you choose Expedited Service: 2-3 Weeks
- Any original documents submitted with the application will be mailed back separately from the newly issued passport. Please contact the U.S Department of State if you do not receive a second mailing within 10 business days of receiving the first.
- If you were age 16 or older when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
- If you were under 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.
- A U.S. passport (or passport book) is valid for all forms of international travel anywhere in the world
- A U.S. passport card is only valid for sea or land crossings into the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. You cannot use a passport card for international travel by air.