Afghan relief and assistance

Refugee Resettlement Assistance

We have heard from concerned community members looking to support refugee resettlement efforts or inquiring about where they can get resources to support their loved ones. The City is working to connect our community members to critical services in multiple languages. If you have specific questions or are looking to provide resources, please fill out the form below. We also recommend contacting the federal government representatives at the bottom of this page if you need help trying to get a family member or loved one out of Afghanistan.

***The City of Hayward is unable to assist with evacuation requests or time-sensitive legal issues. Please direct all evacuation-related inquiries to the appropriate federal agency, your Senators and Congressional representatives (listed below), and/or your immigration attorney (***

Inquiry Form

Donate Locally

For community members looking to help, the following groups are collecting donations to assist refugees that are expected to arrive our area. The City is in contact with each of these organizations to help coordinate any needed assistance in Hayward. If you are looking to coordinate with the City, you can contact staff at

  • The Afghan Coalition is a community-based organization in the East Bay that provides support and services to local Afghan community members. 
  • The International Rescue Committee of Northern California helps refugees who have been granted sanctuary in the bay area become self-sufficient.
  • Jewish Family & Community Services East Bay has a Refugee Services team that welcomes new refugees in the East Bay and helps them with resources. They area also looking for volunteers.
  • Fremont's Afghan Refugee Help Fund will work with local Afghan partner organizations to determine the priorities and needs of those new arrivals to our Country. Funds will be used for housing, food, clothing, and other items or services to assist refugees expected to arrive in our area.

Special Visa Information

If you have loved ones in Afghanistan, and are looking for help in getting them out, contact your local member of Congress, either via an online form requesting help with a federal agency, phone, or email to get caseworker assistance. Links to Bay Area members of Congress are below.

Afghan nationals who worked directly for the U.S., or with the U.S. and/or its allies either as an interpreter or contractor, are eligible to apply for a Special Immigrant Visa. Staff members of your local Congressmember can help you start an application, or track one already submitted.

U.S. Senator Alex Padilla’s Office has also set up a dedicated webpage for resources and information for people looking to help someone get out of Afghanistan. There is also a dedicated email address for people who need casework assistance:

Bay Area Members of Congress:

Congressman Eric Swalwell’s 15th District Office   
20990 Redwood Rd., Castro Valley, CA 94546
Phone: (510) 370-3322

Link for help with evacuation and visa issues 

Congressman Mark DeSaulnier’s 11th District Office:
440 Civic Center Plaza, 2nd Floor, Richmond, CA 94804
Phone: (510) 620-1000 Fax: (510) 620-1005

Link for help with a federal agency

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi’s 12th District Office:
90 7th Street, Suite 2-800, San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: (415) 556-4862

Link for help with a federal agency

Congresswoman Barbara Lee’s 13th District Office:
1 Kaiser Plaza, Suite 1010, Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 763-0370

Link for help with a federal agency

Congresswoman Jackie Speier’s 14th District Office:
155 Bovet Rd., Suite 780, San Mateo, CA 94402
Phone: (650) 342-0300 Fax: (650) 375-8270

Link for help with a federal agency

Congressman Ro Khanna’s 17th District Office:
3150 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 240, Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 436-2720 Fax: (408) 436-2721

Link for help with a federal agency

Congresswoman Anna Eshoo’s 18th District Office:
698 Emerson St. Palo Alto, CA 94301
Phone: (650) 323-2984 or (408) 245-2339 or (831) 335-2020 Fax: (650) 323-3498

Link for help with a federal agency

Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren’s 19th District Office:
635 North First St., Suite B, San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 271-8700

Link for help with a federal agency