Meet the Artist
Learn about the artist's life and works and how they contributed to turning the City of Hayward into Mural City!
Jean Bidwell, a former Hayward resident, began painting murals since high school, including a notable mural at Camarillo State Mental Hospital. She is an artist intrigued with the history of place and paints in a realist style.
- Downtown Utility Boxes A Street
- Weekes Branch Library Book Drops 27300 Patrick Avenue
- Jackson Street Southern Retaining Wall Mural Jackson Street west of Watkins Ave towards BART tracks
- Grand Terrace Sound Wall Mural Jackson Street at Meek Avenue eastward toward railroad and BART tracks
- Hayward Main Library Book Drop Boxes C Street and Wakins Street
For more information about this artist: jeanbidwell.com
Illustrator, graphic designer, muralist and puppeteer, Wythe Bowart’s work as a multidisciplinary artist is making waves in the Bay Area and beyond.
- Downtown Utility Boxes B Street
Karon Flemming, a self-taught community artist, came up with the idea for the Diversity Mural Project. Her art brings awareness to gender and racial inequalities. An exhibiting artist with preferences for oil and watercolor, she’s inspired by nature and the spirituality of the human mind.
Suzanne Gayle was raised in a family where art was highly encouraged. Raising a family in Hayward has helped her mentor students through projects that build school pride by connecting kids with their local community. The opening of her Star Arts studio in Hayward was fueled by her passion in both art and education, a result of over 20 years of involvement in the arts in Hayward.
- Latin History Mural Mission Boulevard at Berry Avenue
- Avalon Jewelers Streetscape Mural 1051 B Street
- Downtown Hayward Mural B Street and Foothill Boulevard
For more information about this artist: starartsstudio.com
Ben is a local resident and landscape designer. He is inspired by nature and the natural world around him.
- Latin Heritage Mural Mission Boulevard at Berry Avenune
For more information about this artist: bengoulart.com
Andrew Kong Knight
Andrew Kong Knight grew up in Hayward and has been an art teacher at Hayward High School for the past fifteen years. He is also the recipient of several local and national awards
- City Gateway Mural 7 Foothill Boulevard and Maple Court
- Faces of Hayward Utility Boxes Along Hesperian Boulevard from A Street to Industrial
- Cinema Place Parking Structure Murals C Street, Foothill Boulevard, and Cinema Place Alley
For more information about this artisit: andrewkongknight.com
Linda Longinotti is a long-time resident of Hayward. She is currently the Community Exhibits Coordinator for A.R.T. Inc. Linda continues to explore new paths of expression by attending master critiques with local artists.
- El Taquito Mural 22354 Mission Boulevard
- Bon Appetito Lake Como Mural A Street and Mission Boulevard
- Italian-Themed Mural A Street east of Mission Boulevard
- Downtown Utility Boxes C Street
Christine Pacheco is a Hayward resident and long-time artist. She enjoys painting murals, but her specialty is mosaics. The large canvas of the murals contrasts with the attention to detail of mosaics, allowing Christine to express herself in different ways as an artist.
- Jackson Street Gateway Mural Jackson Street west of Santa Clara Street
Josh Powell was born in Virginia and attended Virginia Commonwealth University's School of the Arts. With a BFA in Communication Arts and Design, he moved to San Francisco, after a brief stop in Lake Tahoe, to begin working as an artist. Josh's passion for mural painting reflects his past, while the Bay Area inspires his work into the future
- Hayward Historical Society Mural Foothill Boulevard and Russell Way
- Russel City Mural 1070 A Street
- Harder Road Underpass Harder Road west of Soto Road
- Memorial Mural Mission Boulevard at D Street
- Hayward Animal Shelter 16 Barnes Court
For more information about this artist: bristlebros.com