Housing & Utilities

Looking for housing or trying to set up utility service? We're here to help. 

Tree Cover

Contact List of Hayward Utility Providers

For general questions about utility providers in Hayward, call 510.583.4700.

Energy Provider

Water Provider

  • Most properties in Hayward get water from the City of Hayward. To start service, call 510.583.4600.
  • Some properties get water from East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD). To start service, visit their website or call 866.403.2683.
  • See here for 2016-17 Hayward Water and Sewer Rates

Sewer Providers

  • Most properties in Hayward are connect to the City of Hayward sewer system. To start service, call 510.583.4600.
  • Some properties are connected to the Oro Loma Sanitary sewer system. To start service call 510.276.4700.
  • Some properties are not connected to a public sewer systems, but instead have a private septic tank. Alameda County Environmental Health monitors septic tanks in the county. For more information, contact 510.567.6887.

Garbage and Recycling Providers

Rental Housing Programs

  • Request a Rental Housing Inspection: Code Enforcement conducts inspections to ensure rental units are maintained in a safe and sanitary living condition. If you believe your rental unit is not being maintained, contact Code Enforcement to schedule an inspection of your rental unit: 510.583.4175.
  • Rent Stabilization: The City provides relief to residential tenants by stabilizing rent increases for certain tenants and encouraging rehabilitation of rental units whenever vacancies occur. For details, please review the FAQ section or the Residential Rent Stabilization Ordinance or call 510.583.4454.
  • Mobile Home Space Rentals: Each time there is a space vacancy in a Mobile Home Park, the Park owner or manager must complete a Mobile Home In-Place Space Transfer form. Please click here for more information about the City's Mobile Home Space Rent Ordinance or call 510.583.4454.
  • Fair Housing: If you believe you have experienced illegal housing discrimination or harassment, you can explore filing a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing at 800.884.1684 or by calling the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Housing Discrimination Hotline at 800.669.9777. Additionally the City of Hayward provides funding through our Community Development Block Grant Program to Eden Council for Hope and Opportunity (ECHO) to provide tenant-landlord counseling, conduct fair housing audits, and conduct tentants rights education. More information about these programs can be found at ECHO's website. 
  • Rental Listings for Section 8 and Other Low Income Housing: The Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (HACA) provides weekly updated lists for Section 8 participants, and a montly updated list of privately owned subsized housing available to low income families and individuals. 

Affordable Housing Programs

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 Keyer Marston Associates, Inc. (KMA) and City staff presented the above linked presentation and draft Nexus and Feasibility Study at a meeting of stakeholders. This study was prepared by KMA for potential update of the City's Affordable Housing Ordiance. Please note that the schedule of the process for the AHO update is included on page 21 of the PowerPoint presentation (in pdf format) linked above.  The next step of the update process is a City Council work session that will be held at the Hayward City Council Chambers on October 17 at 7:00 pm.The report consists of two parts: 1) Summary, Context Materials, and Recommendations Report which contains a summary of the nexus, financial feasibility, and other analyses and  provides KMA's recommendations for the AHO update, and 2) Residential Nexus Analysis report which presents the nexus technical analysis and is included as Attachement A to the summary. 

Apply for Discounted Utility Rates

The City offers a discount on garbage, water, and sewer rates for low-income residents. Download an application or call the City’s Revenue Division at 510.583.4600.

Programs for Home Owners and First Time Home Buyers

  • Housing Rehabilitation Services: This grant and loan program is offered by the City of Hayward. For more information, call 510.583.4252.
  • Alameda County Mortgage Credit Certificate Program: This program provides qualified first-time homebuyers with an opportunity to reduce their amount of federal income tax, which increases their overall income and ability to qualify for a mortgage loan. This program is administered by the Alameda County Community Development Department.
  • Workforce Initiative Subsidy for Homeownership (WISH) Program: This Program provides matching grants to qualified first-time homebuyers
  • The State of California Finance Agency (CalHFA) also helps low and moderate-income first-time or non-first time homebuyers purchase a home by providing access to affordable first mortgages and down payment assistance.  Some of the programs offered by CalHFA are the CALPLUS with ZIP, the MYHOME Assistance, and the Extra Credit Teacher programs.  To benefit from the CalHFA loan programs, potential buyers must contact one of the CalHFA-approved lenders or preferred loan officers.
  • Housing and Urban Development Guide to Avoiding Foreclosure: This site includes tips for homeowners to avoid foreclosure and foreclosure rescue scams as well as rental assistance and relocation resources if you can’t keep your home.
  • Brace and Bolt Retrofit Program: This program offers free earthquake retrofits to qualified residents who own and live in their own homes. 

Report Property Maintenance Problems in your Neighborhood

The Code Enforcement Division works to maintains and enhance the quality of life for Hayward's residents through education, cooperation and compliance of Regulations. Visit their page or our services portal to report issues like graffiti, illegal dumping, and overgrown weeds. For more information call 510.583.4143.

Crime-Free Multifamily Housing Program

The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program (CFMH) is a free education and certification program offered through the Police Department. It is designed to help owners, managers and residents of rental property to keep drugs and other illegal activity off their property. For more information, visit the Hayward Police Department.

Reports and Information about Homelessness

Facing Up to Homelessness - A joint study by the Department of Public Affairs and Administration, California State University, East Bay, and the independent grassroots group, Task Force to End Hunger and Homelessness in Hayward.