Please continue reading for answers to frequently asked questions about the Rental Housing Inspection Program annual fee.

Where's my 2023 annual invoice?

Invoices for the 2023 program year will be mailed the week of January 12th, 2024. If for any reason you don’t receive your invoice, please email us at to request a copy of your invoice in order to avoid any late fees or inconveniences in the future.

How can I pay my invoice?

Landlords may pay their fees in the following ways:

•   ONLINE: Please visit, click on the ‘Pay Invoice’ box and type in the complete INVOICE NUMBER from your bill (including letters and dashes). Once on the invoice information page, click the ‘Pay Now’ button to pay for free by credit card or e-check.

•   BY MAIL: You can pay with a check or money order by mail to City of Hayward, ATTN: Code Enforcement, 777 B St., Hayward, Ca 94541. Please be sure to write the invoice number on your check and include the remittance tag from your invoice. 

•   PLEASE NOTE: Payments will not be accepted in-person at our Revenue department, kiosks, or City Hall drop box. Payments dropped off at the permit center will not be processed immediately for a receipt. 

How should I handle inquires or questions?

Please continue reading for answers to our most asked questions.

General inquiries can be handled via email at or by phone by calling our message line at 510-583-4107; however, please be aware that phone contact will be delayed. You may send a letter outlining your concern along with a copy of the invoice to us via fax to 510-583-4994 or by mail to:

Attn: Code Enforcement
777 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541

What is this bill for?

This is an annual fee for the City of Hayward’s mandatory Residential Rental Inspection Program. The purpose of the program is to ensure that all rental properties are safe, sanitary, and comply with state and local codes and ordinances through property inspections.

Please Note: This is different from the Residential Rent Stabilization Rental Fee. On July 25, 2019, the Hayward City Council passed the Residential Rent Stabilization and Tenant Protection Ordinance. For questions about the Annual Rent Review fee, please contact the Housing Division directly at (510) 583-4454.

How was my property identified as a non-owner-occupied property or as a rental property?

The City of Hayward obtains ownership information from the County Assessor's Office that potentially identifies properties in these categories. When county records list two addresses for a property (the physical address and a separate mailing address), our system will automatically generate an invoice each year. Updating the list of properties is an on-going process, so not all possible rental properties in the city to date are on record at any given time.

How much are the fees?

Single-family homes, condos, duplexes, triplexes, or four-plex are assessed an annual flat fee of $88.00. Parcels with 5 or more units are assessed an annual fee of $22.00 per unit.

Are fees assessed every year?

Yes, fees are assessed annually for the program calendar year. If your property was a rental at any point in the 2023 calendar year, the annual fee applies.

I sold the property last year; do I still have to pay this fee?

Fees are assessed annually for the program calendar year. If you were the property owner and the property was a rental at any point during the calendar year (2023), the fees for your property apply. We will update the property information to reflect the new ownership for the annual billing next year. Note: Unpaid fees will be forwarded to a collection bureau for payment.

What happens if I do not pay?

Failure to pay the outstanding fees will result in the imposition of a special assessment on your property taxes under Government Code Section 38773.5. The amount assessed will include the total amount past due on the invoice, plus a $1,811 City assessment fee, and a 1.7% Alameda County fee.

If I receive an invoice, does that mean that my property is going to be inspected?

Yes, however, mandatory city-wide proactive inspections are conducted based on our staffing and inspection cycle. Complaint based inspections may occur at any time.

What if my children or friends live in the home?

Single-Family homes & condos only - You may qualify for an annual exemption if your child or others live in the home and they do not pay rent for the use of the home. An owner can request an exemption based on the above-mentioned circumstances.

TO FILE FOR AN EXEMPTION: We request that the owner complete the City of Hayward RRIP Annual Exemption Affidavit stating that no form of compensation is being received by the owner for the use of the property AND the expenses related to the home (insurance, maintenance repairs, utilities, etc.) are not being claimed on your personal income taxes. 

Documentation will be required to substantiate this exemption (i.e., a utility bill for the property listed in the property owner's name), along with a copy of the invoice to ensure proper handling of the exemption.

Please submit your request for exemption and supporting documentation to: Code Enforcement - Rental Inspection Program, via email to, via fax to 510-583-4994, or by mail to 777 B St, Hayward, CA 94541.

Please note: Properties with two (2) or more units are not eligible for an exemption unless each unit is occupied by an owner as listed on the property title with the Alameda County Assessor's Office.

Why am I receiving an invoice again if I filed a request for an exemption in the past?

Exemptions are on an annual basis and will need to be submitted each year that the exemption applies. The City of Hayward recognizes that residency changes can occur from one year to the next.

How do I change my mailing address to receive my invoice? 

We obtain address information from the Alameda County Assessor’s office. To ensure you receive all City notices and correspondence, please update the mailing address with them and we will update it in our system accordingly. You may access their address change page by using this link.