Visit our calendar for our full list of bookmobile stops.
Apply for a Site Visit
Apply online for a site visit from the bookmobile!
Print application (pdf)
Send completed application to Lindsey Vien, Education Services Manager
Description of Services
HPL’s Bookmobile serves all of Hayward’s community. We prioritize underserved and/or economically disadvantaged communities without a nearby Library branch. We visit community partner agencies, schools, after-school programs, daycares, parks, senior centers, mobile home communities, and neighborhoods on a monthly and sometimes routine basis. Requests can also be made by community partners for a special event visit.
Programs & Special Classes
A variety of programs and classes are available during Bookmobile visits (including, but not limited to): staff-led storytimes, book talks, various arts and crafts/activities, Tech Lending Library services, and Adult Literacy outreach services. All programs and visits are subject to staff availability.
Print Materials, Music & Movies
Aboard the Bookmobile, we offer print materials for all ages, in multiple languages. These include (and are not limited to): board books, picture books, easy readers, fiction and nonfiction, graphic novels, cookbooks, audiobooks, music CDs, and movie DVDs.
Material Pick-Up Policy
Coming soon. Material requests made with at least seven (7) workdays’ notice will be brought to the next visit if available within HPL’s collection. Please note, our Bookmobile does NOT participate in Link + or Interlibrary Loan. Loan periods are for one month and patrons either return borrowed items at the following Bookmobile visit or at the Downtown Library or Weekes Branch Library.
Library cards are FREE to anyone residing in California. Identification and proof of home address are required. Information about library cardholders and borrowing records is strictly confidential. Library cards are valid at both the Downtown and Weekes Branch libraries. Parents are responsible for material borrowed by children. For children age 17 and under, parental consent is required to issue a library card. Parental consent can be given through a signed library card application or by having the parent/guardian present.
Bookmobile Visit Criteria
Sites considered for a Bookmobile visit MUST:
- Be located within Hayward’s incorporated service area
- Provide a safe, legal, accessible place to park our 35-foot RV (please note: Bookmobile is equipped with a wheelchair lift)
- Comply with Hayward Public Library’s Policies and Procedures and Code of Conduct
- Have a responsible on-site contact to coordinate the Bookmobile visit, which could include but is not limited to, assistance with program registration, on-site logistics, updates to on-site contact information, and notification of any necessary site cancellations or scheduling conflicts
- Maintain a consistent and significant number of participants throughout the duration of service
- Meet other logistical considerations, such as integration into current schedule and geographic location
How to Book a Visit
- Applicants may request a routine or special event Bookmobile visit by utilizing the online Bookmobile Service Application provided by the Library
- First time applicants must read, review, and complete all information requested on the application which included pertinent information regarding their organization
- Three months lead time is highly recommended to assure booking availability
Priority for Site Services
Bookmobile Reservation Applications are reviewed by HPL’s Bookmobile Committee to determine eligibility. Once an application has been submitted, HPL staff will review within one (1) month and reply. Priority will be given to:
- Agencies servicing economically disadvantaged communities and/or neighborhoods is South Hayward
- Hayward communities unable to access a branch library or other library services
- Service is for 3 months for community sites or one year for school sites. *Please note, requests must be made 3 months in advance of the requested date. If mutually agreed upon, both parties will sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the dates of service. Parties may evaluate service and request a service renewal contract with amended dates.