The Hayward Police Department’s Community Youth Academy is a week long program offered annually each summer.
This unique opportunity provides students with a greater understanding of the inner workings of a police department, as well as procedures, as taught by the Law Enforcement professionals themselves. The purpose of the academy is to educate the youth on what laws are enforced and their importance, as well as strengthen the relationship between both the community and the Police.
Open to students grades 8th – 12th (students entering the 8th grade for the current school year are welcome)
Class locations will be held in Hayward at:
- HPD’s North District Office, 22701 Main Street (Map)
- Main Station, 300 W. Winton Avenue (Map)
The Academy is presented over five days and covers the following topics:
- Gangs/Destructiveness of gangs
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse and Tobacco – Consequences of underage usage
- Forensics and Crime Scene Investigations
- SWAT Demo
- Traffic and Patrol Operations
- PD Physical Fitness/Obstacle Course
- K-9 Demo
- F.A.T.S. – Fire Arms Training Simulator
- HPD/Jail Tour