Truck Routes and Transportation Permits

Section 35701 VC of the California Vehicle Code allows local authorities to prohibit the use of a street by any commercial vehicle except for public utility vehicles or any commercial vehicle on a direct route from an unrestricted street for the purposes of making pickups or deliveries.

In 2017 the City of Hayward Traffic and Public Works Departments established the following truck routes:

Truck Routes: (Truck Route Map)
If you have any questions, please contact the Traffic Bureau at (510) 293-7099 or email

Transportation Permits
The City of Hayward provides transportation permits for qualified loads and vehicles to operate safely on the roadways to/from and through our jurisdiction.

In March 2017, the Hayward City Council passed an ordinance amending its Transportation Permit Conditions, Procedures and related permit forms. The City's Transportation Permit Conditions and Procedures have been updated to closely reflect current Caltrans Conditions and Procedures. Permits are issued for the movement of an "Extralegal Load" as defined in the California Vehicle Code Section 320.5 VC.

Transportation permit applications may be received from the applicant either in person, via email, fax or first class mail. The City’s goal is to provide a same day service; however; there is a 3-working day maximum for single trip permits and a 14-working day maximum for all other permits.

All applications are checked for accuracy, complication and to verify that the applicant meets all insurance requirements as described in the Hayward Municipal Code Section 6-13.05/LIABILITY.

The City of Hayward provides a list of fee-based permit services for information only and the City of Hayward does not endorse or recommend any permit service and is not responsible for the representation or acts of these companies. Permit services are especially useful to the commercial trucking industry to expedite processing and to coordinate multiple permit applications. Permit services are always optional and never mandatory. The City of Hayward gives no preferential treatment to permit service companies or their applications. See Authorized Permit Companies for a list of permit services.

Apply for a Single Trip Permit Application
A single trip permit is valid for a laden and unladen round-trip. A Certified Traffic Officer checks height, length, weight, overhang, width specifications and requested route on the application. If the application falls within the City of Hayward Transportation Permit Procedure criteria, then the vehicle is deemed acceptable for a single trip permit. For vehicle combinations with more than nine axles a completed Transportation Permit Rider is required.

Apply for an Annual Permit Application
Generally, the City of Hayward will allow an Annual Transportation Permit that is also allowed by CalTrans. If the applicant can provide an annual permit granted by CalTrans, the City of Hayward will also consider issuing the same annual permit. The original copy of the Annual Permit is mailed (not faxed) to the permittee. The permittee must carry the original permit, with all required attachments, in the permitted vehicle. For annual permit requirements, please see the City of Hayward Transportation Permit Procedure.

Repetitive Permit Application
Contact the Hayward Police Department Traffic Bureau for information on Repetitive Permits.

* Note: The traffic office will be closed and permits will not be processed on the following days.

New Years DayMartin Luther King Jr's BirthdayLincoln's Birthday
Washington's BirthdayMemorial DayFourth of July
Labor DayVeteran's DayThanksgiving Day
The Day After ThanksgivingChristmas Day 

Links to related documents: