Public Hearing: Possible Amendments to the City's Noise Ordinance
On April 22, 2021, the Hayward Planning Commission will hold a public hearing to consider a proposal to amend the City of Hayward General Plan (“Hayward 2040 General Plan”) Hazards Element and the Noise Ordinance to modify the hours when landscaping activities may be conducted on or near residential properties. The amendments would also ban the use of gas-powered leaf blowers on residential properties as of January 1, 2024. The General Plan amendment would modify existing policy HAZ-8.21 – Construction and Maintenance Noise Limits. The existing Noise Ordinance is available here. The recommended amendments include:
- For residential properties:
Current Hours: 7am to 7pm Monday through Saturday
Proposed Hours: 8am to 6pm Monday through Friday and 9am to 6pm Saturdays
No change is proposed for Sundays and holidays.
- Proposed hours would also apply to landscaping activities on commercial properties that are within 25 feet of a residential property.
- Ban the use of gas-powered leaf blowers on residential properties as of January 1, 2024. (The State of CA is may soon implement a similar ban. More information is at https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/small-off-road-engines-sore)
- No changes for landscaping work on commercial properties except for landscaping activities occurring within 25 feet of a residential property.
- No changes for general construction hours. Construction is temporary in nature whereas landscaping activities occur on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Maintain existing noise limits for Golf Courses.
The Planning Commission staff report is available here: https://hayward.legistar.com/MeetingDetail.aspx?ID=858115&GUID=38EEAD61-71B3-4CC8-85CC-E2EDF1183405&Options=info|&Search=. For more information on how to watch the Planning Commission meeting and make comments, please view the Guide to Virtual Meeting Participation at https://www.hayward-ca.gov/your-government/boards-commissions/planning-commission.
With questions or comments, please call 510-583-4700 or email email@example.com. Si necesita esta información en español, por favor llame al teléfono 510.583.4400 TDD: 510.247.3340.