Tenants Educational Seminar: Residential Rent Stabilization OrdinanceHayward City Hall Add to Calendar
The City of Hayward adopted a new Residential Rent Stabilization and Tenant Protection Ordinance (RRSO) on Tuesday, June 25, 2019, to create a comprehensive set of rental housing policies to help prevent displacement of Hayward residents. The new RRSO establishes a rent increase threshold of five percent (5%) annually and creates a process for evaluating rent increases above 5%. Additionally, the new ordinance includes provisions that:
- Require landlords to file rent increase and termination of tenancy (eviction) notices with the City of Hayward
- Help protect people who receive rental assistance from discrimination
- Sets specific guidelines and reasons as to when a landlord can lawfully evict a tenant
- Protects tenants against retaliation by landlords for exercising their right under the ordinance
The Ordinance will be effective on July 25, 2019.
The City is hosting two, free educational seminars for tenants presented by Project Sentinel on the dates below. To sign-up, click on the “reserve your seat” button below.
- Wednesday, July 24, 2019 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
These educational seminars will provide an overview and help tenants understand their rights and responsibilities under the new ordinance.
Seating is limited, RSVP today.