Animal Shelter New Volunteer Information SessionHayward Animal Shelter Add to Calendar
At the information session you will learn more about our volunteer programs and will be able to pick up an application. All applicants must undergo a background check.
For volunteers 18 years of age and older you must be able to commit to staying with the program for at least one year and must be able to volunteer a minimum of 10 hours a month.
For Volunteers 16 – 17 of age you must be able to volunteer 2 hours a week every week for 4 to 6 months depending on the animals you want to work with. To learn more about this option, please attend an information session with a parent.
For volunteers between 10 and 15 years of age you must have an adult who can volunteer with you, and must commit to volunteering 2 hours a week and commit to staying with the program for a minimum of 4 to 6 months depending on the animals you want to work with. If the adult is not the legal guardian of the child, we request both the parent and the adult who will volunteer with the child attend the information session.
Without our volunteers, many shelter pets would never find a new, loving home. Come join us!
Here are some of the ways you can volunteer:
- help clean cages and feed the animals (kennel support)
- transport animals to local SPCAs and rescue groups
- participate in community events
- help with fund raising activities
- socialize and play with cats & rabbits
- walk the dogs
- take photos and videos of adoptable animals
- attend adoption events with the animals
- adoption counseling
- contribute to the Shelter’s newsletter
- Social media and website building
- Foster - underage or nursing kittens