Foreclosure Prevention Resources
Some homeowners are not aware that there are so many resources available to help them avoid losing their homes. Below is a list of resources to help Hayward homeowners who are in danger of foreclosure or are already going through foreclosure (please double click on the highlighted part of the bulleted items to access each site). Before accessing the following internet sites, read a brief description of the foreclosure process in California: The Foreclosure Process In A Nutshell.
- Homeowners HOPE Hotline by the Homeownership Preservation Foundation – A non-profit organization that offers free foreclosure prevention counseling by HUD-approved counselors to any homeowner. Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the foundation’s hotline (888-995-HOPE). The foundation’s counselors are experts in foreclosure prevention and trained to set up a plan designed for each homeowner’s unique situation.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-Approved Counseling Agencies - This is a list of agencies located in California that have been approved by HUD to offer a variety of housing counseling services. You may do a search to find the counseling agency closer to your neighborhood.
- HUD’s Guide to Avoiding Foreclosure. This site not only includes tips for homeowners for avoiding foreclosure and foreclosure rescue scams but also rental assistance and relocation resources if you can’t keep your home.
- Home Foreclosure and Debt Cancellation Q & A’s at the Internal Revenue Website (IRS). This site contains information about home foreclosure tax consequences.
- Mortgage HOPE Crisis Hotline established by Operation HOPE, Inc. (HOPE) - This site provides free services to assist individuals who need answers and guidance on how to resolve mortgage loan payment issues. The hotline number is 888-388-HOPE (4673).
- A Guide to Mortgage Resources in California from the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD).
- According to industry experts, the sooner homeowners contact their lenders when they begin to experience delinquency issues, the more options will be open to them short of losing their home. Click Here for a Directory of Mortgage Lenders put together by HOPE NOW, an alliance between counselors, mortgage companies, investors, and other mortgage market participants. This is a list of mortgage lenders nationwide.
- Tenants’ Rights in Foreclosed on Properties from Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA). Español: Por favor oprima aquí para obtener información acerca de los derechos de los inquilinos en propiedades ejecutadas por juicio hipotecario.
Dueños de casa que se enfrentan con la pérdida inminente de su casa y necesitan ayuda en español, por favor opriman aquí: SUCASA.GOV
Information on this webpage, which contains hypertext or other links to external internet sites, is made available as a public service, without express or implied warranties of any kind. The City of Hayward has no responsibility towards the use or misuse of the information published on these websites. They are provided for your convenience. Any information, materials, personal opinions, or endorsements of products or services appearing on external sites are not controlled, sponsored, or approved by the City of Hayward. The City of Hayward disclaim legal responsibility for any information, materials or services made available on external sites, including the personal opinions of individuals posted on any site, regardless of whether the City of Hayward operates the site.